The Health Risks of Dental Implants
If you are missing one or more of your teeth, you have likely considered dental implants. For those of you who don’t know what dental implants are, they are a strong and stable procedure that restores your smile with a natural-looking, tooth-like material. In fact, dental implants can help to replace the entire structure of your missing teeth and allow you to enjoy everyday life activities without having to worry about your teeth.
Related Post: Dental Implants & Oral Irrigation
How Do Dental Implants Work?
Before having a dental implant procedure
, it is important to find a qualified and experienced team of dentists, like the ones at Parkcrest Dental Group
, to help develop a treatment plan that works best for you. An experienced dentist usually performs the following steps during a dental implant procedure:
- Place the dental implant surgically into the jawbone.
- After the implant is placed, you are typically sent home to undergo a healing process. The purpose of the healing process is to help bond the implant with your jawbone. This process can take anywhere from several weeks to several months.
- Once the healing process is complete, your dentist will then place an abutment or small connector on the top of the dental implant.
- Last, either an individual tooth, an implant-supported bridge, or dentures are attached to the abutment.
Are Dental Implants Dangerous?
Just like any surgical procedure, there are risks involved. However, the risks for dental implants are very rare. Risks can include:
- Infection at the implant site
- Damage to structures surrounding the implant
- Nerve damage
- Sinus problems
Although there are some risks to dental implants, they have proved to be a very safe and effective way to replace missing teeth. Additionally, if you have a trained and skilled dentist by your side, dental implants become one of the safest and most predictable dentistry procedures. At Parkcrest Dental Group, our team of dentists not only offer the skills and experience needed to perform a dental implant procedure but they also offer the care needed to help you reach your smile goals.
Related Post: 5 Common Myths About Dental Implants
Contact Parkcrest Dental Group Today
Still have questions or concerns regarding dental implants? At Parkcrest Dental Group, our friendly and knowledgeable team members would love to speak with you to help answer those questions and help determine if dental implants are right for you. Contact our office today at 417-262-5515 to schedule an appointment, or browse our website for more information about our services.