If you’re a big fan of popcorn, you might be shocked and saddened to find out that one of your favorite snacks is not a good idea while you wear braces. At Parkcrest Dental, we understand that there’s a lot to get used to after you first get braces, but you can still enjoy yummy snacks! Instead of popcorn, here are some great alternatives.
Related post: The Best Time to Get Braces
Why Popcorn Is a No-Go for Braces
First and foremost, it’s important to understand why popcorn is so bad for braces. Although it’s tasty and good for you due to its fiber content, eating popcorn can cause unnecessary wear and tear on your brackets or wires.
For example, biting down on an unpopped kernel can crack brackets, break wires, or knock some of the brackets loose. Additionally, pieces of kernels could get tightly lodged in your braces, causing bacteria to breed and resulting in discomfort for you.
The best way to prevent these potential issues is to avoid popcorn entirely while you’re wearing braces. Although it may seem like a long time to go without popcorn, there are plenty of tasty alternatives, many of which are just as delicious but provide better nutritional value than popcorn! Some of our favorites are listed below.
7 excellent popcorn alternatives for braces
- Popcorn puffs or puffcorn. Although not the most nutritious snack, these should satisfy any popcorn cravings without causing any damage to your brackets or wires.
- Fruit. Just about any type of soft fruit is a great snack alternative that won’t wear on your braces. Kiwis, strawberries, blueberries, sliced apples, mangoes, and peaches are all great options. But don’t let us limit your creativity!
- Rice cakes. If you’re in the mood for something with a delicious crunch, rice cakes are a great snack that won’t cause any damage to your brackets or wires. They also come in a variety of different flavors, such as apple cinnamon, white cheddar, or chocolate crunch.
- Frozen yogurt or smoothies. Craving something sweet? Frozen yogurt or smoothies are the perfect summer snacks. They’re also a healthier alternative to ice cream (although there’s always a time and place for that too).
- Cooked vegetables. Cooked veggies may not be the most exciting snack, but you can jazz them up with seasonings like salt, pepper, garlic, or a little bit of butter. If you like cheese, you can also sprinkle some shredded cheddar or pepper jack cheese on top for a punch of extra flavor.
- Pita bread and hummus. This snack is perfect if you’re craving something carby that won’t ruin your braces or your diet.
- Pudding. Pudding is another sweet snack option that you can save for special occasions. Since it also comes in a variety of flavors, you’re unlikely to get bored with it, and buying perfectly pre-portioned cups from the grocery store can help keep you from overindulging.
Related post: Can You Eat Popcorn With Braces?
Contact Dr. Harrison for More Orthodontics Tips
Have more questions about your braces? Need tips on how to care for them? Call (417) 887-1220 or contact our orthodontic team online. Dr. Harrison and the rest of the orthodontic team at Parkcrest Dental are here to make sure you and your teeth are happy and healthy.