When most of us think about oral health, the first thing our minds jump to is our teeth. Of course, as your Springfield-neighborhood dental provider, we want you to pay close attention to the health of your teeth. However, there is another part of your oral health that is important to pay close attention to — your lips. Today, the expert team at Parkcrest Dental Group will share some ‘lip tips’ you should use to keep your puckers in tip-top shape.
Do You Have Chapped or Dry Lips?
Dry, chapped lips can be caused by environmental factors like temperature changes, wind exposure, sun exposure, and more. Chapping can also be health-related, or it can be due to simple factors like licking your lips too often. Regardless of how they occur, chapped lips are not only unsightly, they can be extremely uncomfortable.
Luckily, chapped lips are completely treatable. With the right treatment and health practices you can achieve healthy lips.
Related Post: How Vitamin D Benefits Your Oral Health
Treating Your Chapped Lips
There are a few key steps to properly treat chapped lips.
- First, apply lip balm throughout the day. Lip balm provides a protective layer on top of the surface of your lips and shields them from the environment. Try to avoid lip balm with heavy flavors or cosmetic ingredients.
- Second, ensure you are properly hydrated. Drink at least eight glasses of water per day and avoid drinks that can dehydrate you like alcohol.
- Third, avoid licking your lips. As your saliva evaporates, the natural moisture on your lips evaporates with it.
- Fourth, eat your vitamins! Vitamin A, B, C, B2, and E all help your body to naturally repair cracked, damaged lips.
- Lastly, bring up any oral health issues with your dentist. We are here to make sure your entire mouth is healthy, and we’re happy to help!
Related Post: How to Cope with Mouth Sores From Braces
Visit the Expert Team at Parkcrest Dental Group
Our dentists are dedicated to ensuring our patients have a beautiful, healthy smile. We will work to ensure you leave our office smiling! If you are looking for a dental office in Springfield, MO, we would love to have you. Schedule an appointment with one of our expert dentists online, or give us a call at 417-887-1220.