Pediatric Dentistry: Get Your Children to Drink More Water
Regularly drinking water is an important step to fostering a healthy smile in your child. Not only does it keep your child’s mouth clean, but it also keeps them hydrated and healthy. However, as a parent, it can be difficult to motivate your child to drink water instead of sugary drinks or juices
. The pediatric dentistry team at Parkcrest Dental Group have a few tips that you can use to encourage your child to drink more water in our blog below.
Ways to Encourage Your Child to Drink More Water
- Be a Positive Role Model – Children notoriously follow the lead of their parents. If they see you drinking lots of water, they will be more likely to follow suit. Setting an example is one of the most powerful ways to encourage your child to take up positive dental habits.
- Get a Crazy Straw – A silly straw is a great way to get your child to drink water. Something that is colorful and fun-shaped will make drinking water fun!
- Use a Fun Cup – Allow your child to pick out a special cup that only they use. Something with their favorite cartoon character may help to encourage them to drink water. Pediatric Dentists have been using this trick with toothbrushes for years. If your child enjoys the tool they use, they’re more likely to engage in that activity. Cups are no different.
- Dilute their Juice – Juices have a LOT of sugar content in them. Make an 80% water and 20% juice mixture to reduce the amount of sugar they consume. Best of all, your child will likely barely notice the change.
- Add a piece of fruit to their water – Adding a colorful piece of fruit to their water can make it seem like more of a treat. Strawberries offer plenty of vitamin C and malic acid, which is great for gum health.
- Give them food with high water content – A surprising amount of the water we consume actually comes from the food we eat, generally around 80%. Offer your children healthy snacks with high water content such as celery. Not only will they get a lot of water, but these healthy snacks do a great job of cleaning their teeth and gums.
Visit Dr. Stuart Scott for Your Next Pediatric Dentist Visit
At Parkcrest Dental Group, our pediatric dentistry team is dedicated to ensuring you and your child have the healthy smiles you deserve. Dr. Stuart Scott
and his pediatric dentist team are the best in the business when it comes to promoting your child’s oral health. Schedule an appointment
with the pediatric dentist office at Parkcrest Dental today!